Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Upgrade mSATA SSD card question

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
kpevav
Freshman Member

Upgrade mSATA SSD card question

#1 Post by kpevav » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:06 am

I have a 64GB mSATA SSD card and 320GB HDD in my x220. The mSATA card is too small, as I keep running into limits for items I would like on that card. Is there a simple way to clone it (let's say to the HDD that has plenty of room) and then install a new card? I would rather not have to reinstall and the update the Windows 7 system, etc.

control
Freshman Member

Re: Upgrade mSATA SSD card question

#2 Post by control » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:52 pm

I've done it the other way around, cloned an win7 enterprise os from the hdd to the ssd and it worked out fine. So I don't see why it wouldn't work. It was a while ago so I don't remember the details, but I either used acronis or gparted, either way remember to clone the system partition as well.

deuce868

#3 Post by deuce868 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:33 pm

You might also look at msata usb enclosures or msata -> sata adapters so you could take your smaller msata drive and just turn it into an external disk to copy/etc from.

rsutoratosu
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by rsutoratosu » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:53 am

hate msata, only because its not widely used yet.. I bought a msata to the 2.5 sata for recovery purposes & ghosting/cloning. Well worth it off ebay, 20 bucks. Except it was from china, so took like 3 weeks to get here.

Its good if you deal with a lot of msata devices

The other thing you can do is ghost from your msata to a file on your hdd and ghost back from file to new msata
- depending on your software, I use ghost enterprise, I think acronis does it also.