Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X220 Hackintosh (lion) on MBR partition dual boot Windows 7

OS-X on ThinkPads
k9doog

Re: X220 Hackintosh (lion) on MBR partition dual boot Windows 7

#121 Post by k9doog » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Now I am having problems editing the DSDT, this are the errors I get:

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20091214 [Dec 16 2009]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2009 Intel Corporation
Supports ACPI Specification Revision 4.0

/Users/tlcx86/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 1: Device
Error 4096 - ^ syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_DEVICE, expecting PARSEOP_DEFINITIONBLOCK

ASL Input: /Users/tlcx86/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl - 14592 lines, 485351 bytes, 1 keywords
Compilation complete. 1 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 0 Optimizations

And this is the code example:

})
}

Device (HPET)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0103"))
Name (ATT3, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IRQNoFlags ()
{0}
IRQNoFlags ()
{8}
Memory32Fixed (ReadWrite,
0xFED00000, // Address Base
0x00000400, // Address Length
)
})
Name (ATT4, ResourceTemplate ()
{
})
Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return (0x0F)
}
Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return (ATT3)
}
}

Device (DMAC)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0200"))

Thanks

thinkpad916

#122 Post by thinkpad916 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:16 pm

someone should just clone an ISO image of the HD..and just load it.

Of course someone with most of the options working.. :??:

k9doog

#123 Post by k9doog » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:01 pm

Hi, finally I have my Hackintosh running, only think is not working is Ricoh SDHC card reader, I am using DSDT from Peroxide and most of the Kext, I will consider myself more lucky and perseverant than smart, I use different methods to accomplish the results, Unibeast + Multibeast, I don't know how to test if SpeedTests is working, when x220 is on Battery power the processor shows 800 MHz i5, and when the computer is plugged it shows 2.59 MHz i5, i don't know if this is normal?
For the people who think its not possible, I want to let them know that I install and re install the OS X system like 30 times, currently this is my 4th week of attempts.
Thank you for this great post, and specially Justin.

justin412

#124 Post by justin412 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:45 am

k9doog wrote:Hi, finally I have my Hackintosh running, only think is not working is Ricoh SDHC card reader, I am using DSDT from Peroxide and most of the Kext, I will consider myself more lucky and perseverant than smart, I use different methods to accomplish the results, Unibeast + Multibeast, I don't know how to test if SpeedTests is working, when x220 is on Battery power the processor shows 800 MHz i5, and when the computer is plugged it shows 2.59 MHz i5, i don't know if this is normal?
For the people who think its not possible, I want to let them know that I install and re install the OS X system like 30 times, currently this is my 4th week of attempts.
Thank you for this great post, and specially Justin.
RE: SD Card

Did you see my earlier post about getting that working? You'll need to know the hardware ID of your card reader and edit the kext. Also, if your card is formatted in NTFS, you'll be able to read it but not modify it. The Paragon NTFS driver for OS X works, but it's kinda flakey. Also, if you have problems booting later with an SD card inserted, it might be the card reader. I ran into that recently. The system worked fine for a few weeks but then having my SD card inserted while booting started messing things up. Good luck!
X61 Tablet 7767-96U | x220 4286CT

k9doog

#125 Post by k9doog » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:04 pm

I need some help with SleepWatcher, after I get into the menu of SlepWatcher in Terminal what I have to do?the problem I have is to fix eject of USB's before go to sleep.

Thanks

ducamie

#126 Post by ducamie » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Thankyou for posting this.

I have a very silly question though. I have created my installation media on a pen drive using the steps in the first post, and partitioned my HDD on my thinkpad ready to install OSX.. but I dont know how to boot the pen drive.

Can somebody explain how you actually install osx to the partition i have created.. do i use iboot or something?

Thanks.

justin412

#127 Post by justin412 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:06 am

ducamie wrote:Thankyou for posting this.

I have a very silly question though. I have created my installation media on a pen drive using the steps in the first post, and partitioned my HDD on my thinkpad ready to install OSX.. but I dont know how to boot the pen drive.

Can somebody explain how you actually install osx to the partition i have created.. do i use iboot or something?

Thanks.
If you followed the instructions on creating the install media correctly, you should have installed chameleon or chimera on the USB drive. Plug it in and reboot your computer, interrupt normal startup to select which device you want to boot from (I think it is F12, I can't remember exactly), and then choose the USB drive.
X61 Tablet 7767-96U | x220 4286CT

ducamie

#128 Post by ducamie » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:57 am

justin412 wrote: If you followed the instructions on creating the install media correctly, you should have installed chameleon or chimera on the USB drive. Plug it in and reboot your computer, interrupt normal startup to select which device you want to boot from (I think it is F12, I can't remember exactly), and then choose the USB drive.
Thank you!. That worked but the apple logo now just flashes up then my thinkpad reboots.

any ideas? maybe i missed something

ducamie

#129 Post by ducamie » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:13 pm

nvm! got it sorted. cheers.

k9doog

#130 Post by k9doog » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:20 pm

How did you fixed the constant reboot? thanks.

ducamie

#131 Post by ducamie » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:05 pm

i just used chimera instead of chameleon which stopped the reboots. then used endless bootflags to see why i kept getting errors.

turns out i had a problem with mbr hack files in the OP.
i was using Mac OS X 10.7.4 and it the mbr files wouldnt work so i used these instead http://www.osx86.net/view/2705-osinstal ... 0.7.x.html

then it installed fine :)

JoeSchumy

#132 Post by JoeSchumy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:14 am

Thank u Pero... But I try it on my X220, RY7. After boot, kernel panic appear...

Does it about the Kext? I do remember put the exact Kext in the E/E...

k9doog

#133 Post by k9doog » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:43 pm

After installing Parallels desktop to run W7 on X220 hackintosh, I have Kernel panic with the USB ports, any one have experience installing any kind of virtual machine on his hackintosh, please share your experience with me, there is 2 programs that I use that only run in windows, thanks.

ni-ka

#134 Post by ni-ka » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:09 pm

Hey!

I've followed your excellent guide and set up a Unibeast 10.7.3 osx. I've got everything working apart from sleep. When I choose sleep, the screen goes dark and the power button starts flashing but it never stops and the fan also keeps turning.

I've run myfix and restarted but it does not work. Also, I checked that Wake on Lan is disabled in BIOS. Though my partition for OSX testing is quite small I see a 8gb sleep image file. Have only 1gig free left (but the file exists).

I did not use Sleepwatcher as I don't use VoodooHDA but the patched AppleHDA you found. I assumed I don't need Sleepwatcher then.

I've compared our DSDTs and what I can see is that my Device EHC1 and EHC2 section is a bit different from yours:

Code: Select all

Device (EHC1)
            {

Name (_PR0, Package (0x01)
                {
                    ^LPC.EC.PUBS
                })
                Name (_PR1, Package (0x01)
                {
                    ^LPC.EC.PUBS
                })
                Name (_PR2, Package (0x01)
                {
                    ^LPC.EC.PUBS
                })
where yours is

Device (EHC1)
            {
                Name (_PR0, Package (0x01)
                {
                    \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.PUBS
                })
                Name (_PR1, Package (0x01)
                {
                    \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.PUBS
                })
                Name (_PR2, Package (0x01)
                {
                    \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.PUBS
                })
Could that matter here? Anything else I could try to make sleep work?

PS: One thing I noticed is because sleep failed I had to shut down the computer by long pressing power off button. When I started again into OSX the wireless card was not detected and I had to start again to have it detected again (I replaced the original to a dw1515).

The Freeman

#135 Post by The Freeman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:17 pm

Does anyone know what kexts (if any) are 64 bit? Just thinking about the Mountain Lion transition here.

ducamie

#136 Post by ducamie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:29 pm

can anybody help me get wifi running? i have installed the dell 1515 module and reinstalled 10.7.3 but i dont think osx is recognizing the pci module. it works fine in windows.

ive tried removing

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Network-Root</string>

from IO80211Family.kext and reinstalled the kext but still nothing.

can anybody shine any light on this problem? it didnt work with 10.7.4 either so i reinstalled with 10.7.3 but still nothing.

grassmudhorse

#137 Post by grassmudhorse » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Does anyone tried to install ML on X220? Everything seems to work so far expect the sound. The method with AppleHDA does not seem to recognize the card. Also the VoodooSHDC can pick up the SD card, but I can't copy anything out. It will cause system crash.

ducamie

#138 Post by ducamie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:02 am

ducamie wrote:can anybody help me get wifi running? i have installed the dell 1515 module and reinstalled 10.7.3 but i dont think osx is recognizing the pci module. it works fine in windows.

ive tried removing

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Network-Root</string>

from IO80211Family.kext and reinstalled the kext but still nothing.

can anybody shine any light on this problem? it didnt work with 10.7.4 either so i reinstalled with 10.7.3 but still nothing.
anybody?

i tried 10.7.2 also now, and still no wifi hardware found :(

edit:

this is the error im getting when i run verbose mode on boot up

[/SourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros9380/AirPortDriverAtheros9380-430.14.9/src/common/lmac/ath_dev/darwin/AtherosController.cpp:962] load failed
my card is a dell dw 1515

Atheros AR5BHB92
(AR9280)

edit again:

if anyone else has this problem i fixed it by installing this kext (it has taken me forever to work this out)
http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=763

miaumiau2

#139 Post by miaumiau2 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:49 pm

Any luck with 10.7.4 power management on the i7 version of the X220? Can't get my SSDT tables fixed properly...

See my full post with the extracted tables here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/69476-ss ... post430393

Thanks for any help!

tadhabib

#140 Post by tadhabib » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:09 pm

miaumiau2 wrote:Any luck with 10.7.4 power management on the i7 version of the X220? Can't get my SSDT tables fixed properly...

See my full post with the extracted tables here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/69476-ss ... post430393

Thanks for any help!
I think I got it working with 10.7.4 - lots of trial and errors and help from this forum.

First, my Bios is 1.28 whitelist patched. When the machine boots, it reboots again at bios, then on the second try it goes through. At first it was a little scary, but I got to trust it.

My install procedure was setting up a boot disk using tonymacx86 unibeast and 10.7.0 flash drive. Once I had a bootable flash drive, I installed 10.7 (where dell 1515 wifi would not work), then upgraded to 10.7.4 using apples combined upgrader. Then, before rebooting, I ran multibeast. The key was to pick profile for "i5/7 over clocked" besides all the standard needed kexts (read the beginning of this thread). Sometimes I would get a failure to complete, but that was never a problem later. After restart I would get semi-functioning OSX machine. Then I would copy Peroxides latest STDT.aml file - that would enable brightness slider, get a patched appleHDA.kext for sound and patched for 10.7.4 appleRTC.kext to get sleep to work properly.

My computer shows up as i7 2.7 (I think, I'll check later tonight). Aperture runs smoothly, and so does Airdrop. I used display port with 10.7.3, it still might work with 10.7.4 (not tested yet). Watched couple movies with VLC - speakers are not the loudest, but useable; headphones work much better. Skype works well with video. I use apples wireless mouse.

I tried editing my own DSDT, but I was getting errors and was not sure how to go around them, so I just use Peroxides one. I also use kexttool from his Extra folder. If I tried just placing Peroxides Extra folder and running kexttool, I would get a kernel panic in 10.7.4. I think some of the kexts are not up to date for 10.4.7, but that folder gives me ideas what is needed for a working install.

Again, good luck and happy "hacking". If everything just worked out of the box it would not have been as satisfying.

BTW, as machine is booting, I came across "searching for wireless mouse" and "keyboard". As I do have a wireless mouse, I was able to get through it, then I would plug in apple keyboard to go through the second "search". There must be a way to spoof the computer without having actual apple hardware, but because I do, that's what I did.

Update: Hooked up Apple 20" monitor with a Display Port adapter, it works great. With external monitor on X220 no longer sleeps when the lid is closed, it can still be used with external keyboard/mouse. Got Photoshop CS6 installed, no problems.
"About this Mac" tells me 2.69 Ghz core i7, just what it supposed to be.
Last edited by tadhabib on Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amitabhr

#141 Post by amitabhr » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:22 am

grassmudhorse wrote:Does anyone tried to install ML on X220? Everything seems to work so far expect the sound. The method with AppleHDA does not seem to recognize the card. Also the VoodooSHDC can pick up the SD card, but I can't copy anything out. It will cause system crash.
I have ML working on X220 Tablet (i5-2520M) - Thanks to Peroxide for providing so much details.

Though, I had to re-install 6-7 times to get everything working - mainly because I had to delete all graphics card kexts to get it to boot and getting back IntelHD3000 graphics took couple of days.

I have now started using partclone on linux to image the Mac partition every time before fooling around - takes just 5-6 minutes for 25GB.

I noticed that AppleHDA worked during some installs and didn't at other times. So, its probably a good idea to install the AppleHDA.kext (AppleHDA_patched_for_cx20590.kext.tar.gz - from 22nd Aug update post) early on in a fresh install and run kext wizards fix permission & regen cache. And delete that VoodooHDA before doing this.

Then I just copy peroxide's ssdt.aml, dsdt.aml SMBios.plist and org.chameleon.boot.plist (from 1st page) to /Extra/ (without editing it for my machine) & run chameleon wizard to update boot loader (i don't think chameleon is required to be run here but that's what i am doing). This seems to work for me.

Have you got the sleepwatcher thing running on ML ?

Anyone knows how to check if QE / CI are working ok ?

Though I see IntelHD3000 mentioned in system profiler & about this mac etc and graphics resolution is fine, but running Chess shows a lot of artifacts and slow screen refresh times. Video is fine though.
I don't see QE/CI mentioned anywhere so I am doubtful if its working fine or not.

The Freeman

#142 Post by The Freeman » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:05 pm

amitabhr wrote: Anyone knows how to check if QE / CI are working ok ?

Though I see IntelHD3000 mentioned in system profiler & about this mac etc and graphics resolution is fine, but running Chess shows a lot of artifacts and slow screen refresh times. Video is fine though.
I don't see QE/CI mentioned anywhere so I am doubtful if its working fine or not.
Well, run Chess. If it opens and is working smoothly with no artifacts, you have QE/CI.

ddochi11

#143 Post by ddochi11 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:12 pm

I am considering this hackintosh.

I currently have mSata for boot drive, and a spin disk for data. However, I do not want to create a new partition for this hackintosh installation.

Since I have an Ultrabase, can I use an adapter for an additional HDD to set up hackintosh, and boot from it?

Apparently, some people have Linux setup on Ultrabase HDD, with Windows in the main drive.

DeliriumNL

#144 Post by DeliriumNL » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:46 am

Did anyone get the dockingstation functions like ethernet, usb and audio working ?

Klaymator14

#145 Post by Klaymator14 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:52 pm

does the Dell DW1515 work with the X230t? or does this only work with the x220?

rugb

#146 Post by rugb » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:52 am

Thanks a lot for this great manual. Writing right now on my new shinny "MBP" ;-) Everything is working except WiFi which was replaced by Edimax EW-7811Un and works perfect
[but no support for PEAP authentication with WPA2]

The Q: did somebody try to use 2 LCD or LED monitors connected 1 - to dp port and 2 - to VGA port?
It worked on my Ubuntu 10.4 - 12.10 and I really need 2 monitors for my work, but don't like to work with open lid - 12" monitor...
As for now I get only 2 mirrored 24" screens :-/
Please advise.
Any help is very appreciate!

manuforce

#147 Post by manuforce » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:30 am

Hi all, First of all thanks to that GREAT Post!!

I am the owner of an X220 with this specs:

2nd Gen Core i5Intel i5-2540M / 2.6 GHz ( 3.3 GHz ) ( Dual-Core )
8 GB RAM
500 GB - Serial ATA-300 - 7200 rpm
1366 x 768 ( HD ) Display
Intel HD Graphics 3000 Dynamic Video Memory Technology
BIOS: 1.26 not whitelisted
standard wifi that comes with the Laptop.

I am following the steps to install ML but the USB dongle never Boot up. It starts, shows the chameleon and then flashes the apple logo boot. After that it reboots and starts again.

what can be happening ?

I will paste a picture of the boot -v in a minute.

thanks

sports

#148 Post by sports » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:56 pm

Apologies for the big necro.

For Mavericks on the Thinkpad-

Wifi:

I was able to get Wifi through a USB dongle, the Panda Ultra. The kext is available online on InsanelyMac under Ralink/Bear. Alternatively, you can get the beta install for the drivers from Panda/Ralink/MediaTek through email. They're pretty responsive, they really like beta testers.

Sound:

Sound's been really unreliable. I used the patched Voodoo HDA from the OP and it was working really great, that is until it KP'd after I tried to wake it from sleep. My advice is to use the DSDT patch with the patched AppleHDA.kext- I haven't been able to get MaciASL to compile the DSDT patch but I will try soon enough.

Other than that- Unibeast is really good, my install USB was set to laptop mode and it detected everything except sound, battery management, and unfortunately the display. Please install an app-store based brightness manager so you don't burn your screen waiting for the DSDT patch to work.

Anyways, it's been an OK experience so far. Some people were since able to get Intel throttling working.

I intend on being extremely persistent for this- I want this setup to last me 4 more years (lol) so I really want to help anyone if need be.

Thanks,
Sports

re404
Freshman Member

#149 Post by re404 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:45 am

Hi all.

Nice thread.

I have a question too:

Since I don't have much harddrive space I'd like to run OS X in a virtual machine from windows from the existing physical partition.

vmware workstation allows this very easily but now I get this (see image below) : "Can't find" (just that)

I've tried several -rd:diskXsY combinations but it doesn't help.

So ... Can any of you help me any further?

Thanks so much!

p.s. also see: http://www.osx86.net/topic/19535-runnin ... irtualbox/

re404
Freshman Member

#150 Post by re404 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:20 am

Don't disappoint me fellow thinkpadders. There MUST be a way ! ;) //r