Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

r61 startup issue

R30/R40, A30/A31, G40/G50 and Z60/Z61 Series. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
vibhor.sanghi

r61 startup issue

#1 Post by vibhor.sanghi » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:52 am

Hi,

I have a r61, type 7743, ag6.

It had been working fine until now but suddenly this morning it wont startup at all. On pressing the power button all lights flash normally for 2-3 seconds, but, just before the display should turn on, it turns off completely. Even on pressing power key again, it wont respond in any way unless i remove the battery and replug the power supply.
I have already checked the fan which is rotatng, reseated the RAM but nothing works. This had happened earlier also but then it was intermittent and would correct automatically. Also when it did boot it was fine until i shut down the laptop properly. But this time, it is just not booting up.

Kindly suggest some solution, I really want to avoid a Mobo replacement.

Regards
vibhor

schen
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Re: r61 startup issue

#2 Post by schen » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:53 pm

Try this. Pull the battery and the power adapter. Press the power button several times to make sure it's fully discharged. Reconnect the PS WITHOUT the battery, and see if it'll power on. If that works, power down, reinstall the battery and try to power up again.
Family Daily Drivers- T450s, T540p
Work- Sadly, the ThinkPads have gone away...... and replaced by HP Chromebox drone machines :(
ThinkPad Projects- T530, T400, R60, Z60t
Historic Retired ThinkPads- Z61m (Titanium), X20, A31p, 701c, 760XD, WorkPad C505, C500 :bow:

qvp

Re: r61 startup issue

#3 Post by qvp » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Did you ever find a solution? Seems I have the same issue on my T400...

vibhor.sanghi wrote:Hi,

I have a r61, type 7743, ag6.

It had been working fine until now but suddenly this morning it wont startup at all. On pressing the power button all lights flash normally for 2-3 seconds, but, just before the display should turn on, it turns off completely. Even on pressing power key again, it wont respond in any way unless i remove the battery and replug the power supply.
I have already checked the fan which is rotatng, reseated the RAM but nothing works. This had happened earlier also but then it was intermittent and would correct automatically. Also when it did boot it was fine until i shut down the laptop properly. But this time, it is just not booting up.

Kindly suggest some solution, I really want to avoid a Mobo replacement.

Regards
vibhor