Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Is the X1 non-Thinkpad hardware

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
Greg Gebhardt
thinkpads.com customer
thinkpads.com customer

Is the X1 non-Thinkpad hardware

#1 Post by Greg Gebhardt » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:40 am

Why would the X1 not be considered to be real Lenovo Thinkpad hardware. With a i7 CPU, 8gb RAM, 160SSD drive, etc, would it not be fast enough to be real Lenovo Thinkpad hardware?

I just ordred one for use in the field and it never occured to me, until I visited Thinkpads.com, that the X1 did not qualify in any way.
Greg Gebhardt
Jacksonville, Florida

Brian10161

Re: Is the X1 non-Thinkpad hardware

#2 Post by Brian10161 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:51 am

I don't know what truly defines a Thinkpad, but I think it might have something to do with how different it is from the other X/T/W series. The glass screen, chiclet keyboard and the integrated battery among other things.

Or, it could just be an oversight on someones part. Reading into it too much perhaps? Looks like a nice little machine.
Thinkpad E14 : R7-5700U : 16GB : 1tb

lead_org

#3 Post by lead_org » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:32 am

It uses a non standard ThinkPad keyboard and there is the Gorilla glass covering the screen, other than that i am not sure there is any difference between this and the regular run of the mill ThinkPad.

The build quality of the X1 is really good, and even Macbook Pro fans are impressed.
Current ThinkPad: T430u, T430s, X1 Carbon, X1, X230t, X220t, X230, X220, X201t, W520, W701ds, T500, T420 and many more

Greg Gebhardt
thinkpads.com customer
thinkpads.com customer

#4 Post by Greg Gebhardt » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:45 am

I hope that it could be placed in the regular Thinkpad hardware forums soon as it sure seems to be Lenovo thinkpad hardware. If fact it is likely the beginning to what we are going to see in the future. There is nothing wrong with gorilla glass and I can't see the lack of a removable battery making it "non-Lenovo Thinkpad hardware.

What do you think?

The new Thinkpad Slate tablets are real hardware and they are running Android! They do not even have a keyboard! There is no removable battery! :?:
Greg Gebhardt
Jacksonville, Florida

vēer

#5 Post by vēer » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:36 am

Not sure about the keyboard but in the longer run probably ALL laptops be it ThinkPad's or not will have integrated battery.
Glossy screen is different tho, because it interacts with your user experience which might be disturbing in brightly lit environments.
Chiclet keyboard - not sure, it could be that even that will become the new standart on ThinkPad's some day, then again, while its perfectly good to type on its in my opinion NOT as good as classic ThinkPad layout keyboard.

Kaze22
Sophomore Member

#6 Post by Kaze22 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:11 pm

Why would integrated batteries become the standard???
You can't replace it, Lenovo loses money on selling batteries (huge profit margins with their markups).

Why would chiclet keyboards becom ethe standard???
Business users hate it, and that's Thinkpads bread and butter, no matter how much they wanna target the Macbook generation, its really the corporate types that buy Thinkpads.

If the X1 was indeed a real Thinkpad, Lenovo would have given it the proper 3series moniker.
The fact that it got a new X1 moniker means that Lenovo intends to still retain the X3XX line as its flagship mobile line for future use.

In my opinion, the X1 was a test to see if they could create a new line for the Macbook generation and still generate a profit. By not using the X3 line they still retain the old brand in case the X1 fails.
Thinkpad W520 | Intel i7 2.5 XM | 1920x1080 FHD 95% Gamut | 32 GB DDR3 | 128GB MyDigitalSSD mSATA SSD | 2GB NVIDIA QUADRO 2000M | UEFI WIN 7

corgana

#7 Post by corgana » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:52 am

Kaze22 wrote: Why would chiclet keyboards becom ethe standard???
Business users hate it, and that's Thinkpads bread and butter, no matter how much they wanna target the Macbook generation, its really the corporate types that buy Thinkpads.

Looks like the chichlet keys are becoming the new standard

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by dr_st » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:51 am

Yep! I propose opening new forums for all the upcoming models under "non-Thinkpad hardware". :lol:
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

w0qj
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#9 Post by w0qj » Sat May 19, 2012 3:14 pm

Amen.

1. I refuse to buy anything that has an integrated battery, which is a built-in 18-24 month time bomb, once your integrated battery dies (<20mins capacity), it is cost prohibitive to factory-replace it. BTW, the same for my smartphones--no integrated battery, same reason.

2. *Hate* chiclet keyboards with a passion, when key is pressed, key stroke is reduced for an inferior typing experience (ie: chicklet keyboards greatly slows down your typing).
Business users love the Thinkpads for a reason--keyboards are a joy to type on.
Not anymore with the chicklet keyboards on T430, T530, W530, X1-Carbon, etc. :(
:( :(
Kaze22 wrote:Why would integrated batteries become the standard???
You can't replace it, Lenovo loses money on selling batteries (huge profit margins with their markups).

Why would chiclet keyboards becom ethe standard???
Business users hate it, and that's Thinkpads bread and butter, no matter how much they wanna target the Macbook generation, its really the corporate types that buy Thinkpads....

Greg Gebhardt
thinkpads.com customer
thinkpads.com customer

#10 Post by Greg Gebhardt » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:28 am

dr_st wrote:Yep! I propose opening new forums for all the upcoming models under "non-Thinkpad hardware". :lol:
I hate to say it but soon the replaceable battery Thinkpads will need to move to the "Old Legacy Hardware, along with it's owners! I do not like it either but people want small and thin and there is no doubt the chicklet keyboards are to replace them all. Replaceable batteries add too much bulk to devices even though they are far more practical.

Lenovo wants you to buy a new unit every year!
Greg Gebhardt
Jacksonville, Florida

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#11 Post by Cigarguy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:38 am

If they force me to do that. I'll vote with my feet and go elsewhere. For me, built in battery are just stupid. That's why I'll never own another iPhone again. Having said that, the biggest deal breaker for me is the keyboard. More than anything else this is the most important laptop component for me. It's the thing I touch and stroke on a regular basis. :wink:

fjs08
Sophomore Member

#12 Post by fjs08 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:35 am

Do any of the new breed of "ultrabooks" come with a replacable battery??
Frank

Greg Gebhardt
thinkpads.com customer
thinkpads.com customer

#13 Post by Greg Gebhardt » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:52 am

fjs08 wrote:Do any of the new breed of "ultrabooks" come with a replacable battery??
Frank
Not from what I see. Making the battery replaceable increases the bulk of the machine. Having them built in gives them the max size battery in the smallest space as they can build the battery to wrap around the interior components. We have a iPhone that is over 4 years old and the original "built in battery" is working fine.

Non-removable batteries may not be the "standard" for all new laptops but it is for the ultra book line and it IS the hottest selling laptop on the market for ALL brands. That kinda tell us something! I am not selling my heavy duty W520 yet but I have my doubts about it use after the X1 arrives
Greg Gebhardt
Jacksonville, Florida

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#14 Post by ThinkRob » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:55 am

I hate to say it but soon the replaceable battery Thinkpads will need to move to the "Old Legacy Hardware, along with it's owners!
You extrapolated this from a grand total of two ThinkPads for which this was the case?
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Laptop: X270, running Fedora
Desktop: Intellistation 285 (currently dead)
Workstation: owned by my employer ;)
Toy: Miata!

houndkr

#15 Post by houndkr » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:16 pm

vēer wrote:Chiclet keyboard - not sure, it could be that even that will become the new standart on ThinkPad's some day,
Tell me my future, man :)

Greg Gebhardt
thinkpads.com customer
thinkpads.com customer

#16 Post by Greg Gebhardt » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:49 am

Cigarguy wrote:If they force me to do that. I'll vote with my feet and go elsewhere. For me, built in battery are just stupid. That's why I'll never own another iPhone again. Having said that, the biggest deal breaker for me is the keyboard. More than anything else this is the most important laptop component for me. It's the thing I touch and stroke on a regular basis. :wink:
Not owning a phone just because it has a built in battery is not an option for me. How a device works and what it can do for me is FAR more important. As far as the chicklet keyboard it is very nice and coming from the W series, I can see where most will like it. It is solid, crisp and will disappoint very few.
Greg Gebhardt
Jacksonville, Florida