Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

How do I switch tpfancontrol to fahrenheit?

Forum for scripts, utilities like TPFanControl, IBM-ECW, 2-finger scrolling, etc.
kburel

How do I switch tpfancontrol to fahrenheit?

#1 Post by kburel » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:09 pm

I'm a newbie so I apologize if this is an obvious question. I have edited the .ini file and I see instructions for changing the temperature values depending on whether the program calculates in celcius or fahrenheit. But I don't see a parameter that instructs tpfancontrol to calculate it's temperatures in fahrenheit. How do I get tpfancontrol to calculate the temperatures in fahrenheit?

Thanks.

kburel

Re: How do I switch tpfancontrol to fahrenheit?

#2 Post by kburel » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:48 pm

I've solved my own problem. A careful review of tpfancontrol.ini revealed that if the temperature of the lowest level of profile "Smart Mode 1" will switch from celsius to fahrenheit if set higher than 79 degrees. I set it to 140 0 and now my display shows fahrenheit. It look good now. I'd like to suggest that you an ini file for fahrenheit users be distributed with the product where I could just rename the file and I'd be good to go. That would make it easy for a newbie like me. But then again, I wouldn't learn as much.

KB

jayton4

#3 Post by jayton4 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:07 am

Nobody uses Fahrenheit with electronics. Why do you want the numbers in F anyway? It does not relate to anything else, as any comparisons or information you try to look up about about the temperatures you experience will all be in C. I really doubt they will ever make a different ini file for Fahrenheit when you can just make the simple change you mentioned.
jayton4
Current models/upgrades:
T410 2518X01- 8GB, Corsair Force GT 120GB
T410s 2901A3U- 8GB, Intel 6300 WiFi, Crucial m4 256GB w/ mSATA>microSATA adapter
T420s 4174PPU- 16GB, Intel 520 180GB, Crucial M550 512GB mSATA, Intel 6300 WiFi
and a stack of classics in storage

kburel

#4 Post by kburel » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:43 am

What is the point of your rude reply? The only reason you responded is to tell me I'm stupid. The reason I want the number is Fahrenheit is to understand quickly what is the temperature of this thing sitting on my legs. Thank you very much. I know all about celsius. I can convert it. But I've grown up in the US and Fahrenheit is our native language. I'm not trying to compare the temperature to anything electronic. I'm trying to compare the temperature to things biologic - my legs. Please refrain from posting such rude replies.

jayton4

#5 Post by jayton4 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:29 am

kburel wrote:What is the point of your rude reply? The only reason you responded is to tell me I'm stupid. The reason I want the number is Fahrenheit is to understand quickly what is the temperature of this thing sitting on my legs. Thank you very much. I know all about celsius. I can convert it. But I've grown up in the US and Fahrenheit is our native language. I'm not trying to compare the temperature to anything electronic. I'm trying to compare the temperature to things biologic - my legs. Please refrain from posting such rude replies.
You have my apologies. It was not my intent to sound rude, and I did not want to say you are stupid.
jayton4
Current models/upgrades:
T410 2518X01- 8GB, Corsair Force GT 120GB
T410s 2901A3U- 8GB, Intel 6300 WiFi, Crucial m4 256GB w/ mSATA>microSATA adapter
T420s 4174PPU- 16GB, Intel 520 180GB, Crucial M550 512GB mSATA, Intel 6300 WiFi
and a stack of classics in storage

John Roberts

#6 Post by John Roberts » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:22 am

My thanks to the kind member who found a simple and effective way to change the temperature display of tpfancontrol from Degrees Celsius to Degrees Fahrenheit. I used the same method for Smart Mode 2, and it works Great! :mrgreen:

house kitten
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by house kitten » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:30 pm

I just wish anybody would post the settings and how I should edit them. I thank OP for posting and I too am born in the US and want mine in F.
T-60 7200, 2GB Ram, Atheros "N" card, 8744-5BU, T-42