Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X1 integrated battery question

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
questo

X1 integrated battery question

#1 Post by questo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:56 am

Hi,

I have an X1 which has an integrated battery. I work on it mostly connected to the electrical socket.

I was once told that to prolong battery life, the battery should be run down completely, then recharged completely, run down again etc. Is it still advisable to do that when I could instead keep the computer connected to the socket throughout? Does this harm the battery?

Thanks...

schmaud
Sophomore Member

Re: X1 integrated battery question

#2 Post by schmaud » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:20 am

Run down completely is accurate for old NiMh akkus. Yous are Lithium ions based.

Ussually they need to get run down and reloaded completely 2-3 times to have full capacity, or at least to have accurate readings from the soft.

Afterwards you shold run them down completely every few month.
Ther is now harm done if you top them up from any other reading, just make sure that you keep the software settings that prvent them from being charged when already full. ( standart setting is: only start charging agin if akku dropped below 96%).

Li Akkus age anyhow, wether in use or not. a drop in 4 years to 60% is pretty normal, some clame they last longer if stored halffull in the frifge...

cheers

r.
--------------
T42 2373-FWG (725/14.1/512)
1400 iSeries
x60s

Greg Gebhardt
thinkpads.com customer
thinkpads.com customer

#3 Post by Greg Gebhardt » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:44 pm

There should be a setting for your battery charging that will extend the battery life and not keep your battery charged to 100%. It is adjustable but the default is to start charging when you battery goes below 96%. I have used this and it works well. I do not suggest that you discharge your battery completely unless it is failing to charge to 100%. This will only result in decreasing your battery life and increasing charging cycles.

In two of three years, if you still have the device, the battery CAN be replaced. I ordered the slice for mine as I will be using it in the field and need a good days work between charging.
Greg Gebhardt
Jacksonville, Florida

VipFreak
Freshman Member

#4 Post by VipFreak » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:12 am

Old, but still need to ask and searching "x1" sucks...
Greg Gebhardt wrote: In two of three years, if you still have the device, the battery CAN be replaced. I ordered the slice for mine as I will be using it in the field and need a good days work between charging.
Is it user replaceable or does it need to be sent in? Where can you buy a replacement or what's the model number to replace it? Thanks

Greg Gebhardt
thinkpads.com customer
thinkpads.com customer

#5 Post by Greg Gebhardt » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:14 am

VipFreak wrote:Old, but still need to ask and searching "x1" sucks...

Greg Gebhardt"
In two of three years, if you still have the device, the battery CAN be replaced. I ordered the slice for mine as I will be using it in the field and need a good days work between charging.
Is it user replaceable or does it need to be sent in? Where can you buy a replacement or what's the model number to replace it? Thanks[/quote]

My comments about the slice did not refer to the X1 Carbon as no slice is available. Only internal battery and I am sure if you keep your laptops for 5 years. The average user will run it for maybe 3 years or less and the battery should not be an issue. If one thinks it will be they should look elsewhere, but for those who want an Ultra book most do not have/need replaceable batteries.
Greg Gebhardt
Jacksonville, Florida

VipFreak
Freshman Member

#6 Post by VipFreak » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:42 pm

Greg Gebhardt wrote: My comments about the slice did not refer to the X1 Carbon as no slice is available.
I was refering to the x1 not Carbon
Greg Gebhardt wrote: If one thinks it will be they should look elsewhere, but for those who want an Ultra book most do not have/need replaceable batteries.
Oh... darn, guess I should've looked elsewhere. I planned on more than 3 years.

lead_org

#7 Post by lead_org » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:45 am

you can replace it yourself, although sourcing the battery from somewhere would be of some difficulties.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60081959@N ... otostream/

Replacement of the battery would involve, removing the keyboard, palmrest and some connection wires. If you are careful and reasonably handy with disassmbly/reassembly, then you can do it within 30 minutes or so.
Current ThinkPad: T430u, T430s, X1 Carbon, X1, X230t, X220t, X230, X220, X201t, W520, W701ds, T500, T420 and many more

VipFreak
Freshman Member

#8 Post by VipFreak » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:44 am

Oh ok, cool. Looks pretty easy. Thanks