Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Lenovo's inspiration

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
elitistlinuxuser

Lenovo's inspiration

#1 Post by elitistlinuxuser » Fri May 18, 2012 3:42 pm

Not be pickey but i can see where lenovo gets there inspiration for it's wonderful X1 Carbon
X1 Carbon 2012
http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/upl ... ero_06.jpg
Vaio X505
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/i/z/rv/2004/ ... 505-i1.gif
Last edited by JaneL on Fri May 18, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No pic warning and no pics >50k.

underclocker

Re: Lenovo's inspiration

#2 Post by underclocker » Fri May 18, 2012 8:31 pm

I don't care where the inspiration came from, but I'm looking forward to the first reviews, the first X1 model was disappointing.
T510, i7-620m, NVidia, HD+, 8GB, 512GB Intel 545s SSD, Webcam, BT, FPR Home
T400s, C2D SP9400, Intel 4500MHD, WXGA+, 8GB, 160GB Intel X18-M G2 SSD, Webcam, BT, FPR Travel
Edge 14 i5-540m, Intel HD Graphics, HD, 8GB, 180GB Intel Pro 1500 SSD, Webcam, BT, red cover Music

elitistlinuxuser

#3 Post by elitistlinuxuser » Sun May 20, 2012 9:15 pm

Well the difference is that lenovo designed their product with usability and functionality in mind.

QWERTY Andreas

#4 Post by QWERTY Andreas » Fri May 25, 2012 1:40 pm

Seems more like a Macbook Air to me
Thinkpad Helix 2
Custom build ITX desktop (i5 4590, 8GB RAM, GTX 1050Ti, custom watercooling)
Thinkpad 8, Thinkpad W500, Thinkpad T61F 14" (2.53 GHz QX9300, 6 GB RAM, Quadro FX570m 256 MB), GPD win

FS: T61F

khtse

#5 Post by khtse » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:30 am

QWERTY Andreas wrote:Seems more like a Macbook Air to me
Same here. I don't really see any resemblance between the X1 Carbon and the Sony, but it does reminds me a lot of the Macbook Air (and so does every ultrabook). But then, there is only so many ways you can make a ultra thin laptop.

elitistlinuxuser

#6 Post by elitistlinuxuser » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:55 am

Same here. I don't really see any resemblance between the X1 Carbon and the Sony, but it does reminds me a lot of the Macbook Air (and so does every ultrabook). But then, there is only so many ways you can make a ultra thin laptop.[/quote]
How does it look more like a macbook air. The X1 carbon is made from black carbon fiber like the sony, has a trackpoint device like the sony, and has matte display. But at the end of the day they both look like laptops to me. Of course the Sony was made in 2004 and with specs and features from there so it will look different from a lot that is on the market.

wolfman

#7 Post by wolfman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:01 pm

I'd give you the carbon fiber like the Sony - but the trackpoint is all Thinkpad. I wouldn't say anyone has a claim on a matte display.
Thinkpad L14 gen 2 | AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 5850u | 64gb RAM | 1tb SK Hynix P31 Gold | Intel AX210
Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950x | 64gb RAM | 512gb Samsung 970 Pro + 1tb Crucial SSD | Ubuntu 20.04 LTS | Dell S2721DGF
Previous Thinkpads: A21m, R40, X61, T410, T420, W520

khtse

#8 Post by khtse » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:17 am

elitistlinuxuser wrote:Same here. I don't really see any resemblance between the X1 Carbon and the Sony, but it does reminds me a lot of the Macbook Air (and so does every ultrabook). But then, there is only so many ways you can make a ultra thin laptop.
How does it look more like a macbook air. The X1 carbon is made from black carbon fiber like the sony, has a trackpoint device like the sony, and has matte display. But at the end of the day they both look like laptops to me. Of course the Sony was made in 2004 and with specs and features from there so it will look different from a lot that is on the market.[/quote]

Shape, island style keyboard, back lit, etc. Its basically a black MacBook air with track point.

The Sony may also made out of carbon fiber like the X1 carbon, but it looks nothing like the Sony. Maybe except that they both have a keyboard and a display. Put the 3 together no one would say the Sony looks like the other two.

pxa270
Freshman Member

#9 Post by pxa270 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:08 pm

The lead designer of the X1 Carbon explicitly cites the MacBook Air as an important influence:

http://blog.lenovo.com/design/developer ... ial-design

pianowizard
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#10 Post by pianowizard » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:02 pm

khtse wrote:Shape, island style keyboard, back lit, etc. Its basically a black MacBook air with track point.

The Sony may also made out of carbon fiber like the X1 carbon, but it looks nothing like the Sony. Maybe except that they both have a keyboard and a display. Put the 3 together no one would say the Sony looks like the other two.
The Sony X505 (which I own -- see my signature) was the first laptop in the world to have an island style keyboard. So, we can say that all laptops with this kind of keyboard were inspired by the X505. And the X505 doesn't have enough room for a touchpad, so all it has is a trackpoint.
Dell Latitude 7370 (QHD+, 2.84lb); HP Pavilion x2 12-b096ms (1920x1280, 3.14lb); Microsoft Surface 3 (1920x1280, 2.00lb);
Dell OptiPlex 5040 SFF (Core i5-6600); Acer ET322QK, T272HUL; Crossover 404K; QNIX QHD2410R; Seiki Pro SM40UNP

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#11 Post by ThinkRob » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:52 pm

It's a thin subnotebook.

You know what it looks like? All the other thin subnotebooks, only with ThinkPad styling. Just like the MacBook Air looks like a subnotebook with Ive styling and the Sony X505 looks like a subnotebook with Viao styling.
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Laptop: X270, running Fedora
Desktop: Intellistation 285 (currently dead)
Workstation: owned by my employer ;)
Toy: Miata!

asiafish
thinkpads.com customer
thinkpads.com customer

#12 Post by asiafish » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:48 pm

I've been VERY happy with the 11" MacBook Air. So much so, that I replaced my 2010 model (passed down to an employee) with a maxed-out 2011 model. That one will soon go to my daughter when I get the new 2012 11" with 8GB RAM and 500 GB SSD. THAT is about as close to ultraportable computing Nirvana as possible these days.
"An atheist is just somebody who feels about Yahweh the way any decent Christian feels about Thor or Baal or the golden calf. As has been said before, we are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."

Richard Dawkins, 2002

Art Vandelay
Freshman Member

#13 Post by Art Vandelay » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:36 am

Glad you're happy with your MacBook Air, but I switched to the ThinkPad X1 Carbon from a MacBook Air and I've never been happier. My ThinkPad runs the Windows 8 RTM, and it beats Mountain Lion by a mile. Apple stopped innovating at 10.6. I beta tested Mountain Lion last winter and I was appalled that the only real "innovations" were gimmicks to sell more iPhones. You are not a customer to Apple - you are a cash machine to them. They just want to hit the right buttons to get you to keep spending. Apple stopped being a computer company when they discovered that the bulk of their profits come from a pretty phone using year old technology that their fanboys will keep buying. Microsoft has been bold and innovative with Windows 8, and the ThinkPad X1 is amazing hardware. I am much happier being free of the Apple cult.

asiafish
thinkpads.com customer
thinkpads.com customer

#14 Post by asiafish » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:14 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Glad you're happy with your MacBook Air, but I switched to the ThinkPad X1 Carbon from a MacBook Air and I've never been happier. My ThinkPad runs the Windows 8 RTM, and it beats Mountain Lion by a mile. Apple stopped innovating at 10.6. I beta tested Mountain Lion last winter and I was appalled that the only real "innovations" were gimmicks to sell more iPhones. You are not a customer to Apple - you are a cash machine to them. They just want to hit the right buttons to get you to keep spending. Apple stopped being a computer company when they discovered that the bulk of their profits come from a pretty phone using year old technology that their fanboys will keep buying. Microsoft has been bold and innovative with Windows 8, and the ThinkPad X1 is amazing hardware. I am much happier being free of the Apple cult.

My business uses a CRM package that is Mac-only, so Windows is not an option as my entire office runs Mac. That said, I do like Windows 7, but am not a fan of Windows 8, at least having to go through Metro to get to the classic start menu.

As for iPhones, you may think it is fashion, but I think of it as stability. I used Blackberry for years, tried and hated Android, and am delighted with iPhone. I don't buy it because it is pretty and I am definitely not a fanboy, I just like technology that requires the minimum amount of fuss. Playing with settings and customizing to me is a waste of time, I just want to turn it on and have it do what I expect it to with a minimum of fuss. Apple is tops in that regard these days. When something else is better I will look into moving.

I was an Apple user back in the early 90s, and moved to Windows in 1999 (Win2K was first version good enough for prime time). I moved back to Apple in 2008. I have no platform loyalty and only brand-loyalty to premium hardware. I like Dell for servers, but would never even consider one of their laptops. I've been happy with ThinkPads for many years (still have one for military use), but consider current Apple hardware to be of better build quality and to provide a far smoother, more integrated experience. Its more expensive, but I'm at the point in my life where reducing annoyance is worth spending more money. My only recent Apple hardware issue (battery on 2010 MacBook Air was flakey) was fixed right there while I waited at the Apple store. That is the way it should be.

The X1 Carbon looks very nice and I hope you enjoy it, but I don't appreciate being insulted or thought of as blindly following some cult just because I choose Apple for my business computing needs. It was simply a matter of choosing the system that would require the least amount of my time playing IT department instead of trial lawyer. My business, 6 employees, is big enough to need integrated, networked computing tools, but too small to justify an IT person. Every minute I'm forced to spend doing IT tasks is a minute that I am not practicing law, which is the reason my business exists. Apple's system simply takes a lot less of my time.
"An atheist is just somebody who feels about Yahweh the way any decent Christian feels about Thor or Baal or the golden calf. As has been said before, we are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."

Richard Dawkins, 2002

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#15 Post by dr_st » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:50 pm

asiafish wrote:I just like technology that requires the minimum amount of fuss. Playing with settings and customizing to me is a waste of time, I just want to turn it on and have it do what I expect it to with a minimum of fuss. Apple is tops in that regard these days.
That is true, as long as you don't expect it to do something Apple did not expect you to want to do. At that point it becomes just as, if not more difficult than with the competition. From experience. :)
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

pianowizard
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#16 Post by pianowizard » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:58 pm

asiafish wrote:I like Dell for servers, but would never even consider one of their laptops.
How come? I have had 7 Dell laptops (4 Inspirons 2 Latitudes 1 Precision) and all but two of them were/are as good as the Thinkpads. My current Latitude, an E4200, weighs less than your MBA, has a larger screen, a better keyboard, is nearly as solid, and cost me much less than how much your MBA cost you.

P.S. In case you are wondering which Dells I didn't like, they were the Inspiron 8200 and the Inspiron 600m. Both were stunningly weak, and far from pretty as well.
Dell Latitude 7370 (QHD+, 2.84lb); HP Pavilion x2 12-b096ms (1920x1280, 3.14lb); Microsoft Surface 3 (1920x1280, 2.00lb);
Dell OptiPlex 5040 SFF (Core i5-6600); Acer ET322QK, T272HUL; Crossover 404K; QNIX QHD2410R; Seiki Pro SM40UNP

asiafish
thinkpads.com customer
thinkpads.com customer

#17 Post by asiafish » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:50 am

dr_st wrote:That is true, as long as you don't expect it to do something Apple did not expect you to want to do. At that point it becomes just as, if not more difficult than with the competition. From experience. :)
Like what? I use my iPhone to get email (Exchange server), browse the web when I'm out and about, sync to my CRM application (DayLite 4, Mac-only, has iOS client but none for Android, Windows Phone or BlackBerry) and play an occasional game. I would imagine that the same people who don't want to fuss with customization of a phone are the people who don't want to make it do anything too esoteric that would cause problems with Apple's system.

Richard Dawkins, 2002

asiafish
thinkpads.com customer
thinkpads.com customer

#18 Post by asiafish » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:54 am

pianowizard wrote:How come? I have had 7 Dell laptops (4 Inspirons 2 Latitudes 1 Precision) and all but two of them were/are as good as the Thinkpads. My current Latitude, an E4200, weighs less than your MBA, has a larger screen, a better keyboard, is nearly as solid, and cost me much less than how much your MBA cost you.

P.S. In case you are wondering which Dells I didn't like, they were the Inspiron 8200 and the Inspiron 600m. Both were stunningly weak, and far from pretty as well.
Call it personal experience. When I was in law school (2000-2004) I saw all of these big Inspirons that by year two were shedding parts. In the army they issue us Dell Latitudes (not sure the model, Core i7 so fairly new) and they are built well-enough but are extremely heavy

Does the E4200 REALLY weigh significantly less than 2.3 lbs of my MacBook Air? I also happen to like Apple's keyboards, not as much as ThinkPad keyboards, but once used to them they are very fast and comfortable. I don't really care about cost so long as its not TOO excessive. I am happy to pay $2000 for a laptop if the quality is there, and with Apple the quality is there.

Finally, my office is standardized on OS X. I used to allow both platforms before I adopted the Mac-only CRM package DayLite. Moving to DayLite had the side benefit of cutting my IT time WAYYYYYY down when I got rid of Windows.

Richard Dawkins, 2002

JaneL
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#19 Post by JaneL » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:27 pm

We're not going to have an OS war here, so all of you - knock it off now.
Jane
2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X300, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga 3 Pro
Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Facebook group
I'm on Twitter

I do NOT respond to PM or e-mail requests for personal tech support.

pianowizard
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#20 Post by pianowizard » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:42 am

asiafish wrote:Call it personal experience. When I was in law school (2000-2004) I saw all of these big Inspirons that by year two were shedding parts.
8 out of 10 Inspirons are sheer junk, both today and 10 years ago. I bet some of those you saw back in 2000 - 2004 was the Inspiron 8200, which, as I said in my last post, was garbage. I held on to it for longer than any other laptops I've owned though, just because it was my first laptop and so it had sentimental value. The Inspiron line has an occasion gem, like the 700m that I absolutely adored, but I would never buy an Inspiron that I am not familiar with or haven't done extensive research on, because there's an 80% chance it would disappoint.
asiafish wrote:In the army they issue us Dell Latitudes (not sure the model, Core i7 so fairly new) and they are built well-enough but are extremely heavy
Unlike the Inspirons, the Latitudes have been mostly pretty good since 2008 or so (except for those plagued by defective Nvidia chips). Yes, some are heavy but some are light. My Latitude E4200 is lighter than any Thinkpad or Apple laptop ever made. I don't like the current Latitudes because they look awful, but that's for another discussion.
asiafish wrote:Does the E4200 REALLY weigh significantly less than 2.3 lbs of my MacBook Air?
Mine is 2.23 lbs although the lightest configuration (which has a lid without the WWAN attachments that mine has) should be 2.20 lbs. Your MBA is 2.38 lbs and thus 0.15 lbs heavier than mine. Not a huge difference, but noticeable, and it's ironic because your MBA has a smaller screen and a non-removal battery and fewer ports than the E4200. The MBA does feel sturdier and the screen is a tad nicer, but then again my E4200 cost me only $250.
asiafish wrote:I also happen to like Apple's keyboards, not as much as ThinkPad keyboards, but once used to them they are very fast and comfortable.
The E4200's keyboard is solid and responsive, and is much easier to type on than the X32 Thinkpad that I currently have. In fact, I would say it's right up there with the best Thinkpad keyboards I have used. And it doesn't get shiny like most Thinkpad keyboards either. Except for the low screen resolution of 1280x800, the E4200 is quite likely the best ultraportable business-class laptop ever. If I replace the screen with the 1440x900 panel of the X200s/X201s Thinkpads, I would drop the "quite likely" phrase in a heart beat.

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#21 Post by ThinkRob » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:34 pm

I have to say, I really like the E4200 + E4300 as well. I'm not a big fan of the keycaps, but the rest of the keyboard feel is about as good as a scissor-switch can get, and I *really* dig the looks of the non-colored ones. It's one of the few non-ThinkPads on my short list of used laptops to recommend to people.
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Laptop: X270, running Fedora
Desktop: Intellistation 285 (currently dead)
Workstation: owned by my employer ;)
Toy: Miata!