Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

(Pic Warning) Flat Stanley (Thinkpads) all around the world

LARGE picture files allowed here. Those with slow connections, beware!!! do NOT go here on your PDA or Cell Phone!
Norway Pad
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

(Pic Warning) Flat Stanley (Thinkpads) all around the world

#1 Post by Norway Pad » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:23 pm

In another thread here, some of us came up with the idea of making a thread with Thinkpads pictured in Flat Stanley style, from all around the world. For those of you not familiar with Flat Stanley, that is (most often) a figure drawn on a piece of paper that kids send to friends and relatives around the country or even around the world, and have them take pictures holding Stanley up in front of something specific to that region or country.

So the hope is to make this into a marathon thread where users hold a Thinkpad up in front of their house or maybe something interesting close to where they live. Or even take pictures of their Thinkpad in a situation where you normally wouldn't expect to see a Thinkpad.

I start out with a couple of pictures of my T60p taken here in Norway.

This above picture is taken outside our house in Øyer, Norway. Snowing, and pleasant 17F today. When my wife and I relocated from the US 3 years ago, we bought this house as a fixer upper. An older house, built by a distant relative of mine. A lot of work put in to it already, more to come.

The next picture has text in it, showing where it's taken.

This is the downhill ski course, Hafjell, 5 minutes from our house. This was expanded greatly for the Winter Olympics in 1994, and with a boom of cabins that got built out in the surrounding mountain areas, this has become one of Norway's main skiing resorts. We don't ski much, but this has given this area benefits like stores that are open on Sunday, something that is unheard of in Norway. Do I have to mention that my wife from the US greatly appreciates that?

Next user: Your turn!
Bjorn
THINKPAD collector. Only missing a proper RetroThinkpad.

Dos3.1
Freshman Member

Re: (Pic Warning) Flat Stanley (Thinkpads) all around the wo

#2 Post by Dos3.1 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:10 pm

Nice job, Norway Pad - hope that TP stays warm!

Thanks for running with my idea of taking pictures of "Thinkpads around the world" and identify9's addition to it of "...Like Flat Stanley, or garden gnomes, or pink flamingos - showing up in exotic, unexpected locales - running with the bulls, skydiving...possibilities are endless" that we discussed in another thread, and starting this thread out. I hope it ends up being lots of fun for us all!

I also have a T60p but it does not have that "antenna ridge" that yours has on the right side of the LCD...interesting. Did you replace the cover at some point? I do have an X60 that has it on the top.

It's quite cold here at the moment, with snow, so if I get some pics taken soon, you'll see even more snow!
...typed on a T60...

Norway Pad
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by Norway Pad » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:10 pm

Dos3.1 wrote:I also have a T60p but it does not have that "antenna ridge" that yours has on the right side of the LCD...interesting. Did you replace the cover at some point? I do have an X60 that has it on the top.
I once added all the parts necessary for the WWAN to work, that is the two antennas (One on the side of the top cover, and one under the keyboard bezel), the SIM card reader, and the Mini PCI-e card. I haven't put work into making it work yet, as I ended up not needing it as much as I thought.
Dos3.1 wrote:It's quite cold here at the moment, with snow, so if I get some pics taken soon, you'll see even more snow!
Looking forward to seeing the result. :D
Bjorn

identify9

#4 Post by identify9 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:08 pm

That's lovely! You're quite fortunate to live so close to Sunday shopping :)

I'll have some pics to share soon. Horrible internet access at work today - took forever just to load this page - not even going to try and upload until I get back to camp. Thanks for starting this!

identify9

T43p viewing the Nordic 2 rig at Prudhoe Bay, Alaska

#5 Post by identify9 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:07 am

It was a beautiful day - warm though a bit breezy - right around 5F most the day (the breeze keeps the mosquitoes off). That's my rig on the immediate left. It's a 325 Barrel Vacuum Truck, where a barrel is an oilfield unit of measure equivalent to 42 US gallons - so my truck can hold over 13,000 gallons. Gets quite heavy when loaded with weighted mud. The heaviest I've transported was 17 lb mud - 17 lbs per gallon, as opposed to water, which is 8.35 lbs per gallon. These are oversized rigs that aren't allowed on the highway without a variance - strictly found on private/leased fields.

Nordic 2 is doing a workover - fixing some problems downhole. We'll be here in one form or another until May.

BTW, I saw a POLAR BEAR this morning! You would think they would be as common as foxes up here, but I had never seen one until today. Still excited about it :)

Also, BTW, the sun made its first appearance in two months the other day. Always happy to have it back.

kony
Sophomore Member

#6 Post by kony » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:19 am

The above picture is amazing. In high resolution it would be a great desktop background.
My T430 with GTX 560 Ti (Now with GTX 670)
T430: i5-3320m, 8 GB, SSD + HDD, 1600x900.

identify9

#7 Post by identify9 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:26 am

Thanks for saying :)

I'll probably be out there again tomorrow. If conditions warrant, I'll attempt to get some HD shots

Sent from my phone which wishes it could have been a T43p

Norway Pad
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#8 Post by Norway Pad » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:23 am

That is a really great background for this thread, nice to see. And interesting to hear the description of the surroundings. Reminds me of the mountains near where I grew up here in Norway, except the polar bear isn't that common here. :)
Bjorn

identify9

#9 Post by identify9 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:15 am

Sadly, the one day I've been back out there this hitch, the weather was unfortunate - so no HD pics yet. Eventually...

Coming in a few months: Thinkpads with baby geese, swans, ducks, foxes, and mosquitoes as backdrops - the Arctic is sick with wildlife in the summer!

Norway Pad
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#10 Post by Norway Pad » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:44 am

Really looking forward to it, I have always seen Alaska as a fascinating place. Like parts of Norway in some aspects, but so large and so much scenery to choose from. Edit: Wow, I had no idea Prudhoe Bay was on the northern/upper coast of Alaska. For some reason I thought it was further south.

And in the mean while: This thread is open for everybody else as well. Let us see a little more of what's surrounding you in your daily life. It doesn't need to be spectacular or require much work in any way. If nothing else, snap a pic of your Thinkpad in front of your house, your car, your office or even a shot out of your front door, overlooking your neighborhood.
Bjorn

Mrs.Sveigdalen

(Pic Warning) Flat Stanley in New Delhi!

#11 Post by Mrs.Sveigdalen » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:52 pm

Here we have a T430s looking out over my 'view' from my New Delhi hotel. Trust me, the hotel was much nicer. :) I am in New Delhi, far away from Mr. Sveigdalen, NorwayPad :cry: but I promised I would take a shot. I'd love to see more from others....

Mrs. Sveigdalen
Just one of my own but plenty of his

Saucey

#12 Post by Saucey » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:34 pm

Coming along nicely guys! :thumbs-UP:
I'll be sure to post a photo during summer when I am in Las Vegas.
Coffee, ThinkPads & Nikon Fan.

Current: PixelBook & Precision 7730
Old Favorites: A31p, T43p, T430s

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

Re: (Pic Warning) Flat Stanley in New Delhi!

#13 Post by BillMorrow » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:27 am

Mrs.Sveigdalen wrote:Here we have a T430s looking out over my 'view' from my New Delhi hotel. Trust me, the hotel was much nicer. :) I am in New Delhi, far away from Mr. Sveigdalen, NorwayPad :cry: but I promised I would take a shot. I'd love to see more from others....

Mrs. Sveigdalen
Just one of my own but plenty of his
very nice seeing the forum banner on the display.. :)
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

ilakast

#14 Post by ilakast » Fri May 09, 2014 2:42 pm

This might not be a very exotic place for the majority of this forum's members, but for me it was the first time across the pond

Acquired it from ebay just a few days before my departure and moved my hard drive over just to take it with me to keep it safe. Yes, it is a native Penryn capable T61 and no it is not for sale :D
4:3 T61 SXGA+, R61i 4:3 15'', X41T

Norway Pad
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#15 Post by Norway Pad » Fri May 09, 2014 8:59 pm

Nice pic, nice to see another post. Where is it, btw? The lack of description of location makes me suspect it is an obvious location somewhere here in the US, but I can't tell. Btw, did the R61i come as 4:3? Or is yours a result of a mobo transplant?

I actually decided to post another picture; both to keep this thread alive, and to actually post a picture from my other listed location. So we are right now on a vacation in the US, staying with my in-laws. I brought the R61i, which is my current workhorse for work, outdoor and travel. With a T8300 CPU and nVidia GPU, is does a pretty good job. And because it was free (Except from the CPU), it won't be a disaster if it gets damaged. That is probably obvious, as I normally don't put my Thinkpads on the ground. The WSXGA+ screen isn't the brightest, but I am actually trying to display the forum. :)

Last edited by Norway Pad on Fri May 09, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bjorn

ilakast

#16 Post by ilakast » Fri May 09, 2014 9:33 pm

My forum signature was not updated until now, that's why I confused you Norway Pad: this is a 4:3 T61 (from which I'm typing from now) and not the R61i (I've updated my sig now). By the way, indeed a "rare" 4:3 R61(i) model does exist although this was never mentioned in the PSREF manual and it is possible to find mostly (if not only) in the European market. I got it before finding this T61 so now it is redundant (and heavy to carry on a transatlantic trip).

Location-wise this is in Orlando, FL international airport in-between terminals A & B (I should have mentioned that it is a clickable photo for larger resolution and description, in the first place).
4:3 T61 SXGA+, R61i 4:3 15'', X41T

Cola

#17 Post by Cola » Sun May 11, 2014 5:12 am

Here's my T420 on our balcony outside in the rainy Danish spring.

A31

#18 Post by A31 » Sat May 24, 2014 7:41 am

L540 goes to school! My school is a Microsoft IT Academy, so it fits in nicely here. ;)

I am going to the RIAT airshow in July and taking the ThinkPad. The F-35 is flying there this year. Going to try and get a shot of the L540 with an F-35 behind it or something. ;)
Lenovo ThinkPad T440s Touch | Core i7 4600U | 12GB 1600MHz RAM | 1080p IPS Touch Display | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | 720p Webcam | 68+ 6 Cell Battery | Windows 10 Pro x64

Past: Lenovo ThinkPad L540 | IBM ThinkPad A31, R40

Norway Pad
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#19 Post by Norway Pad » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:00 am

Ok, so I am a little embarrassed to keep on posting, but fact is that the daily driver Thinkpads in our family gets dragged around to all sorts of activities. Earlier this summer me and my wife participated in a classical rally, for pre-1969 vehicles. The milk processing plant I work at has a nicely restored 1969 Mercedes 1413 tanker, and we try to use it at least a couple of times during the summer season. I have a commercial license, so off we went. This shot of my wife's T430s was taken while we were waiting for an overheated englishman (Morgan) to be pushed off the road. This race was a weird collection of all kinds of vehicles, and was partly run on old narrow roads in Lom, Norway. Oncoming cars was a slight adventure on this road.

In front of us on the road was a M-621 (REO M 35A2) 6x6 loud turbocharged 50's US army vehicle.
Bjorn

alitahriki

#20 Post by alitahriki » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:05 pm

here is my t420 from turkey. library of my school bogazici university.exams are over, so noone is here

FluffyBunny

#21 Post by FluffyBunny » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:30 pm

At work in our lunch room. Austin, TX. My X200T. I love this lil guy. Travels with me every day for studying, surfing, whatever
600E 2645-4AU PII 366Mhz T23 2647-5GU PIII 1.13Ghz R40 2682-FAU P4M 2.0Ghz G41 2886-79U P4 3.4HT
X200 Tablet Core 2 Duo 1.83 Ghz Edge 530 Core i5 Compaq Presario 1825 PII 366 Mhz Z61T 9443-AA1 Core Duo T2400
Dell 4600i Desktop P4 3.4HT Dell Vostro 200 Desktop Core 2 Duo 3.6Ghz

Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#22 Post by Puppy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:33 am

X31 in Portugal, an old convent in Alentejo region
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220
Huawei MateBook 13

Norway Pad
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: (Pic Warning) Flat Stanley (Thinkpads) all around the world

#23 Post by Norway Pad » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:35 am

Breathing some life into this thread again, thanks for the pictures that has come in since my last post. Beautiful surroundings there, Puppy. And I realized how much I miss Mountain Dew when I saw Fluffy Bunny's picture. You can buy it in a couple of stores in Norway too, but it's some special import for $5 a bottle, and it doesn't even taste like it does in the US. Nedless to say I drink quite a lot of that stuff when I'm visiting the US. Too much, according to my wife.. :P

Anyway, it's spring time in Norway, and I was outside to do some wood work yesterday. In order to have access to internet when I took a break, I brought the Tablet 2 outside. On this picture I try to display the forum, but with the glossy display, all you can see from this angle is the sky and the trees. But when you're right in front of it, you can see everything just fine even in direct sunlight. The display is really nice and bright, and I love bringing this little guy along where I normally wouldn't bring any of my newer Thinkpads. So that's why I had no proper Thinkpad to show off this time.

Next user: Your turn! Let's see a glimpse of your life with a picture of your daily driver Thinkpad, either from outside your house, at work, at school, on vacation or whatever.
Bjorn

Khavvie

Re: (Pic Warning) Flat Stanley (Thinkpads) all around the world

#24 Post by Khavvie » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:15 am

I volunteer for a library so I always pack my X230 in case of Internet loss, saved my butt a few times during my morning to afternoon shifts for looking into requesting other books and finding information on them if someone does want a particular book to borrow.
Dell Precision 7540 - 16GB DDR4, i7 9750H, RTX 3000, 500GB SSD, 60hz 1080p IPS
Dell Precision M4800 - 32GB, i7 4810MQ, WX4150, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 120HZ 1080p with BenQ SW240
HP Zbook 15 G2 - 16GB, i7 4710MQ, Nvidia M2000M, 500GB SSD, and 2TB HDD, 4G LTE LT4112
Lenovo ThinkPad T61 - Win7Pro 64bit