Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Hello everyone! (Intro and new T43 pics!)

LARGE picture files allowed here. Those with slow connections, beware!!! do NOT go here on your PDA or Cell Phone!
ThinkFlight

Hello everyone! (Intro and new T43 pics!)

#1 Post by ThinkFlight » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:31 am

I'm Austin, and I would like to express my thanks for all the help you on the board have given me over the years, yet I never registered, so here I am! (I hope I have formatted these photos the way your board likes, I've been on some communities that are very strict about it. Please let me know if I can edit it to your standards!)

A little about myself: I am an aircraft mechanic in-training, and I have a fond love of the ThinkPad line. The machines built by Big Blue have been stuck in my head ever since I went to a friend's house in 8th grade. His father, a professor at my university, at that time had a T60 assigned to him. I walked up to him and observed, "What's that red thing in the middle of the keyboard that looks like a pencil eraser?" That was my introduction into the ThinkPad, and the TrackPoint therein. Fast forward a few years; college. My father told me to find a laptop, one that would be long-lived and last all day in class. I had no doubt what brand I wanted to ask him for. After doing my research, I decided on a T430. Three months in it was taking the abuse from a hangar environment very well, but I started to notice things I was not so happy about. The biggest problem was the screen. Don't get me wrong, the resolution was nice, but I absolutely hate 16:9 ratio screens now. When I would try to find something in a 700 page maintenance manual PDF, the ratio cut off half of the page and zooming out made the text illegible. Another design I did not like was the island-style keyboard. I learned to type on a 2000-ish model Toshiba Satellite and a Packard-Bell desktop. I won't say much about it, because I'm sure many of you know about the keyboard, but the island style is not to my liking, the keys are too far apart, and there are not 7 rows. I also had my first slice-style battery go bad, which Lenovo did kindly replace hassle free.

After a while, I got fed up with (mainly the screen) and started looking for a classic IBM ThinkPad. I managed to stumble across my new T43 on eBay for 45 bucks!
The 4:3 screen ratio is amazing for documents.

The old three-color logo and the browser buttons next to the arrows!

The seventh row. Unless the screen is new or just never removed, it still has the plastic over the LEDs.

Next to the T430. Modem jack and separate mic and headphones jack. S-video: It's been awhile.

How far device interfaces, and USB in general, have progressed. I still intend to use this port for printing.

"Mobile Technology"

I love this machine. When I pulled it out of the box, I had forgotten how solid these machines were built. (No creaky palmrest or keyboard!) I can type without looking at the keys again, and they're clicky and all close together, and the 7th row is there! It's the perfect note-taker and is in excellent condition. I can see an entire page of a manual on the screen. I still need to find a new battery, as this one has aged and only holds about 40 minutes.
It came without an OS, when I took these pictures I was running elemetaryOS. I now run Debian Wheezy with LXDE.

I'm bad at ending long posts, cheers! :D

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Hello everyone! (Intro and new T43 pics!)

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:53 am

Welcome to the forum.
Yours is a (good-looking) 14.1" machine, can't see if XGA (1024x768) or SXGA+ (1400x1050).
There is also a 15" version, also with 4:3 ratio (as in yours), but even higher resolution of UXGA (1600x1200).
The perfect screen for reading documents!
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

ThinkFlight

#3 Post by ThinkFlight » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:07 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Yours is a (good-looking) 14.1" machine, can't see if XGA (1024x768) or SXGA+ (1400x1050).
There is also a 15" version, also with 4:3 ratio (as in yours), but even higher resolution of UXGA (1600x1200).
The perfect screen for reading documents!
Thanks! It is the XGA, I found a post about upgrading it to the SX or UX. Perhaps a lazy weekend project.. Would the 15" be the T43p with the ATI graphics? I saw a few of those when searching around. I've settled in with this at the school finally, finally connecting to the windows share we use for manuals and data. I had trouble because my machine hostname had a hyphen in it. :roll:

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:12 pm

To get more info about their machines, people should provide us with the 7-character TYPE from the label on the laptop bottom.
Looks like: TYPE 2668-46U
The 15" machines come with either XGA, SXGA+ or UXGA, and with either Intel, ATI X300 or ATI FireGL graphics.
Get the HMM if you want to 'fiddle' with your machine:
Intel GPU: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail. ... MIGR-58837
ATI GPU: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail. ... MIGR-58791
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Temetka
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#5 Post by Temetka » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:02 pm

Welcome to the forum!

You got a nice machine there. The T43's are still pretty decent web machines (minus flash video) and can display the heck out of documents on their 4:3 screens far better than a T430 can. Your machine seems to be in pretty good shape based on the pictures you provided. I hope it serves you well.
New:
Thinkpad T470 16GB RAM 250GB SSD LinuxMint
Old:
ThinkPad Tablet 16GB 1838-22U
IBM Thinkpad X61T, T61, T43, X41T, T60, T41P, T42, T410, X301, T430s, T450, T460

Theokretes
Freshman Member

#6 Post by Theokretes » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:22 am

Haha, yeah the T430s are not the most robust things.
For starters they lack a latch (you know, so they are 'sleek') keyboards are terrible, and pretty much what you described. I do like the T440s though.

Definitely a nice T43.
2x T60p, 1x T61, loads of 701Cs, 1x WorkPad Z50, 2x TransNotes other random thinkpads...

Temetka
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#7 Post by Temetka » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:10 am

Welcome to the forums.

That is a nice looking T43 you have there. I hope it serves you well.
New:
Thinkpad T470 16GB RAM 250GB SSD LinuxMint
Old:
ThinkPad Tablet 16GB 1838-22U
IBM Thinkpad X61T, T61, T43, X41T, T60, T41P, T42, T410, X301, T430s, T450, T460