thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
System backups occur about 7:00 am EDT and last about 10 minutes. This will slow performance. RSS feeds have been added to the forum.
Donate if you wish to:
bill at thinkpads dot com

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:47 pm 

I have had a Thinkpad T42 for about a year now and it's developed some interesting power management problems. First of all, it does not let me save new extended power schemes using the thinkpad power management software. It doesn't give me any errors and it seems to save them just fine, but the power scheme doesn't show up in any of the lists. I tried fixing this problem by updating the bios, imbedded controller and reinstalling the thinkpad configuration program (along with the power management software and drivers, of course) and rather than fix the problem, this just added 26 more copies of the "super power saver" scheme to the list of configurations, and since "super power saver" is a default scheme, its not letting me modify or delete any of them. Recently, my computer has developed a second problem. Now the battery slowly leaks charge, even when the computer is plugged in and on. It loses about 1% every three to four days until it gets to the recharge threshhold and recharges. Then the cycle starts all over again. Have any of you encountered similar problems on your machines?

Thank you,
AtheD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:24 pm 

No idea about the power management software. I can only suggest uninstalling, cleaning all files and folders where the presets might reside, and starting again.

As for the the charge leakage, that is (I've been told) perfectly normal. Both my T-series machines will drop about 1% charge every 1-2 days even when using AC power. I've taken to removing the battery when the computer is docked (which is 80% of the time) to prevent so many unnecessary small recharge cycles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:10 am 

Try to reinstall os and change different Power Manager version.

T42 can change battery charge threshold by Power Manager.

I always set charging will start when below 25% charge to prevent unnecessary recharge cycles.

Post subject: Power management
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:05 pm 

Sme problem on a 42p after one of the software upgrades. IBM supprot has not obvious solution.