thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
Legacy ThinkPad model driver and other support files will be mirrored here on thinkpads.com.
55 GB of files are being uploaded now.
More about this when support files are made available.

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:28 am 
Freshman Member

Hi,

I'm curious whether my T60 Core 2 Duo is 64 bit. I read that all Core 2 Duo processors are 64 bit, but nowhere on the laptop can i see a reference to this. My friend said that if I right-click "my computer" and then "properties" it will say if the machine is 64 bit. It does not say anything. Could it be that it is 64 bit, but the Windows it is running is standard 32 bit? The model of the computer is 2007-FVG, part no UT0FVUK. I am running it as it came from the factory.

Is there an accurate way of checking both the processor and whether windows is running in 32 or 64?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:41 am 
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

All C2D machines are 64 bit. Your friend is also wrong on the 64bit part showing in windows, unless you are speaking of Win XP Pro 64bit (slightly different OS).

If you are really concerned, just go here

http://ubuntu.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/l ... ases/edgy/

Download a 64bit AMD64/EM64T Desktop CD disc, and just let it run. It will work as a "live" disc, and go to a working desktop (wont install anything until you specifically tell it to). As the software only runs in 64bit mode, if it works... your machien is 64bit, if it doesn't you have problems :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:02 am 
Sophomore Member

own6volvos wrote:
All C2D machines are 64 bit. Your friend is also wrong on the 64bit part showing in windows, unless you are speaking of Win XP Pro 64bit (slightly different OS).

If you are really concerned, just go here

http://ubuntu.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/l ... ases/edgy/

Download a 64bit AMD64/EM64T Desktop CD disc, and just let it run. It will work as a "live" disc, and go to a working desktop (wont install anything until you specifically tell it to). As the software only runs in 64bit mode, if it works... your machien is 64bit, if it doesn't you have problems :wink:

Mmm actually not strictly true, a lot of the first core 2s were 32Bit Processors with 64Bit instruction set interpreters - I.E. they could effectivly run 64 Bit but they translated it into 32 Bit first.

However I believe that they started running true 64Bit Core 2s, I'm not to sure on that one.

FEEL THE BURN! From the bottom of that particular laptop... right in the bawsack! eek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:18 pm 
Sophomore Member

Quote:
a lot of the first core 2s were 32Bit Processors with 64Bit instruction set interpreters - I.E. they could effectivly run 64 Bit but they translated it into 32 Bit first.

What differentiates true 64 bit c2d's vs. the fake ones? Do you happen to remember where you read that gearguy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:16 pm 
Special Member

Yeah, this is the confusing part. There is a thread in the T60 conference here, actually, that outlines the differences better. The Merom C2Ds we have now will run Windows XP 64-bit, but aren't entirely 64-bit in and of themselves in that not all of the components within the chipset are 64-bit, but the CPU itself is. Santa Rosa, which is slated by Intel Roadmaps to come out Q1 in 2007. :)

~o/
I met someone who looks a lot like you.
She does the things you do.
But she is an IBM.
/~o ---ELO from "Yours Truly 2059"