thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 The thinkpads support forum is now hosting legacy model ThinkPad driver and driver updates..
A link is provided in the MENUBAR just above for registered forum members only..

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:05 pm 

Is there any free 64-bit ramdisk software for Win7?

I would like to set up a 1GB ramdisk for system page file and temporary internet files/downloads to increase the mileage of my MLC SSD.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:26 am 
Freshman Member

I personally think that if you have the memory to run a ramdisk, you'd be better served just turning off your pagefiles.
That's what I've been doing for years now to conserve battery and reduce disk load... Since the middle of XP's lifespan almost all application writers have gotten the hang of actually checking to make sure there's memory (whether it be page or real ram) to run properly.. almost all of the old arguements against running without a pagefile are these days pointless.. I wouldn't advise it in XP without at bare minimum, 1gb, and Vista, 2gb- mainly just to give yourself room to load after the system libs load.

That, and using a ramdisk for page files is actually rather.. redundant?

As for using one for a temp file storage location.. hmm.. perhaps a better route would be to drop in a cheap low-cost usb stick (some are little more than a tiny nub anymore), and route your temp files to that- if the stick dies, it's nearly no cost to replace even up to 16gb anymore...

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:35 pm 
Freshman Member

I'm not sure about Windows 7, but in Windows XP, turning OFF the pagefile causes problems with many applications that expect a pagefile. I've tried it, in one case I had to reinstall Windows (the computer wouldn't boot into safe mode, also had the WinXP "can't boot into safe mode problem.").

I do hope someone makes a Cardbus or Expresscard or USB 2.0 RAMDisk for use as a pagefile drive. That should make things really zippy on old and new hardware.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:00 pm 

Old thread, but still relevant...

Here you go, this app is really, really good for ramdisks.

http://memory.dataram.com/products-and- ... re/ramdisk