thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
System backups occur about 7:00 am EDT and last about 10 minutes. This will slow performance. RSS feeds have been added to the forum.
Donate if you wish to:
bill at thinkpads dot com

It is currently Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:57 pm 

Hi,

Recently I've noticed that my beloved X31 will occasionally (as in once or twice a month) refuse to boot. I push the button to turn it on, but the unit does not indicate it is receiving any power. This happens whether I am trying to boot from battery power or from AC adapter. To fix the problem, I have to take out and put back in the battery (original IBM, holds a good charge).

Another aspect to this problem is last week I put the laptop to sleep, but when I came home I discovered that the battery had completely drained... which is odd, because the battery was about 25-50% full and was sleeping for maybe an hour.

When I use my laptop, I usually have it plugged in to the AC adapter. And when I shut down, I will leave the screen/lid open so that the unit can cool down more quickly.

I've read that doing the "residual discharge" trick may help. Is this a battery issue, or is disaster looming? :(

Thanks in advance

Past:
IBM ThinkPad X31, 600X

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:12 pm 

What is the "residual discharge" trick?

It could be the switch (not common).

It could be worse (power supply)...

It could be the motherboard (bad connection)?

It could be the HDD ...back up everything in case.

Wait for doom!

680x0 wrote:
Hi,

Recently I've noticed that my beloved X31 will occasionally (as in once or twice a month) refuse to boot. I push the button to turn it on, but the unit does not indicate it is receiving any power. This happens whether I am trying to boot from battery power or from AC adapter. To fix the problem, I have to take out and put back in the battery (original IBM, holds a good charge).

Another aspect to this problem is last week I put the laptop to sleep, but when I came home I discovered that the battery had completely drained... which is odd, because the battery was about 25-50% full and was sleeping for maybe an hour.

When I use my laptop, I usually have it plugged in to the AC adapter. And when I shut down, I will leave the screen/lid open so that the unit can cool down more quickly.

I've read that doing the "residual discharge" trick may help. Is this a battery issue, or is disaster looming? :(

Thanks in advance